Finding the Perfect Wedding Shoes to Match Your Dress
We are all familiar with the story of Cinderella and her glass slippers. When Elli-Nicole, Owner of Elli-Nicole Couture Shoes thinks of the fairytale, she always thinks of Wedding Shoes. Finding the perfect pair for that special day in your life can be daunting, here are a few golden rules to ensure the ball doesn’t end early because of blistered painful feet.
What are my options? Different Types of Wedding Shoes:
The most stunning pair of shoes is rendered useless if you are walking like a newborn giraffe. If you are not used to wearing heels please don’t start on your wedding day. Flats or wedges can be so beautiful. Stay true to what makes you feel comfortable and confident.
These are the various options a bride should try to see what works for her:
- Classic court shoe – This is a shoe with a 10cm heel it can either be pointy and closed or an open sandal. This style is great for formal weddings
- Wedges – Perfect for that outdoor celebration a wedge can be closed and pointy or an open toe.
- Ballet flats – Perfect for a breakfast wedding, outdoor celebration or for brides who struggle to walk in high heels
- Mule – This type of shoe is great for outdoor celebrations and is for a more alternative and edgy bride.
- Block heel – A great compromise between height and comfort, the block does give that extra support, great for outdoor celebrations, a closed option is well suited to a more formal wedding.
- Sandals – the best option for the beach or nature-themed weddings
- Sneakers – a new and modern twist on bridal shoes, especially for the bride who wants to show her personality
From flat to platform and every heel height in between there is something for every bride to feel beautiful in.
Materials and Construction:
- Plastic and Vinyl is a NO NO. These fabrics make your feet sweat, slide and blister.
- Leather is always a great quality option however for those who are vegan there are high quality vegan leather or PU option available.
- Comfort padding in the inner lining of the shoe will go a long way to making you feel more comfortable.
- The rule is if they hurt in the store they will hurt forever!
- You get what you pay for, combining a beautifully contracted dress with low quality shoes is a big style NO.
Even though your dress might be the traditional white, you shoes are a great way to add some fun and symbolism to your look.
You can opt to match the shoe to your wedding colours but Elli-Nicole’s favourite is to go with something blue or a colour that might hold meaning in your family. In her family her granny, herself and mother all have the same favourite colour so it was an great way for her to pay tribute to their bond.
The Shape of Your Dress Influences Your Shoes:
The shape of your dress will play a big role in deciding on which wedding shoes to buy.
- If you are wearing a short dress, statement shoes with a crazy print will round off your look perfectly.
- A chunky metallic platform or a striped wedge can be the perfect accessories if you are considering a short dress.
- Are you wearing a short vintage look in lace? Bright red peep-toes and red lips will take you from pretty to pretty damn awesome almost instantly.
- Brides that choose a mermaid wedding dress are all about the curves. A strappy, sexy heel would celebrate the sensual look!
- A ball gown will probably hide your shoes, but you can repeat an accent from your dress on your shoes like pearls or a diamond detail to make it extra special.
Match your shoes with your Wedding Theme:
The location and theme of your wedding will have a huge effect on your choice! If you are getting married on a beach or somewhere outside you better forget about a skinny heel… You will sink into the sand or grass and it will ruin your shoes (and your evening). A flat shoe or wedge heel will probably work better on rough terrain!
Think about your aisle and ask yourself:
- Are you walking downstairs?
- How far are you walking?
- Are you walking on a wooden deck?
- What is the atmosphere at my wedding?
- Is your wedding outdoors?
- What season is your wedding being held? Winter, Summer?
Beach weddings are usually a little more relaxed, so high heels might look out of place just as flat sandals might seem a little underdressed if you are having an elegant city soiree. Make sure your choice is appropriate and will keep you on your feet and dancing all night long!
When should I order my shoes?
2-3 months before your wedding is ideal, you need to give your designer/boutique enough time to alter your hem as well as get a feel for your shoes if you are having dance lessons. If you have little room in your budget, use the extra money to invest in some good insoles! It can be a game-changer!
Weddings are more individual than ever before, so why shouldn’t your shoe choices be too?
Take a pair to spare:
Christian Louboutin said: “A woman carries her clothes, but it’s a shoe that carries a woman!”
So maybe on your wedding day, you will need a little more help… why not pack an extra pair of shoes for when the official ceremony is over? Some brides dream about those perfect, strappy, silk stilettos… but that same bride wants to kick back during the pre-drinks wearing a spare pair of comfortable wedding shoes. Ask one of your bridesmaids to make sure your special pair is already there when you arrive! You will be comfy and on your feet celebrating the night away!
Happy shoe shopping to all the beautiful brides to be!
Blog written by Elli-Nicole Couture Shoes:
ELLI-NICOLE was established in 2013 and Elli-Nicole noticed she was always being asked the same question by brides “Where can I find beautiful shoes for my wedding day?” After a two-year process of research and careful curation, ELLI-NICOLE SHOES have come up with an innovative solution, not only for a wedding day but many special days after. Not only for a bride but for women who love fashion and design.
Looking for some more inspiration? Have a look at this video from OPARI on our YouTube channel: