The importance of engagement rings
The most popular engagement ring is usually a diamond ring, which is also very symbolic. (Not just because it is a girl’s best friend.) The hardiness of a diamond represents endurance and longevity.
Images via WolfBros
The Anatomy of an Engagement Ring
Different types of ring metals
You have a wonderful selection of ring metals to choose from! What are my options, you ask?
- Platinum: a Rare, white metal known for its strength and usually 95% pure! It is very durable and hypoallergenic.
- Yellow Gold/White Gold: Yellow gold gets combined with different metal alloys for added strength and is usually 70-75% pure. It is widely available and therefore a little less expensive than platinum.
- Rose Gold: Rose gold get its rosy tone when copper alloy is added to gold. The pink hue also represents love and looks great against all skin tones.
- Palladium: This silver-grey metal is often used as an alloy in white gold and is just as durable! The metal is lower density so it’s a lot less expensive.
- Titanium: The cool, grey metal is unbreakable but almost as weightless as aluminium! This makes it a popular choice for men that are not used to wearing a ring. It also comes in a polished black.
Have a look at some Unique Engagement Ring Designs below!
How do you measure the ring size?
Image via Pinterest | medium.com
Must it be a diamond ring?
Choosing the type of ring is completely reliant on what your fiancee prefers! Some people like the classic styles, while others prefer something unique. Different types of stones also carry different meanings, so if you are inclined to go for something different, you could choose a gem with a significant meaning.
If you are looking for something completely different there are plenty of jewellers who are able to custom make a ring for you! There are no limitations to what your ring could be. Trust us, the internet is full of unique engagement rings, so think outside the box! We even have a fun quiz to see some which weird engagement ring suits you.
Different Stones for Engagement Rings:
- Moissanite: This is a crystal that naturally occurs in meteorites, is nearly as hard, dense and scuff-resistant as a diamond, and actually more sparkly! A less expensive option and basically impossible to see the difference!
- Tanzanite: A brilliantly blue and violet mineral that is very rare but extremely popular!
- Pearl: The pearl has made a comeback and has a vintage look.
- Other precious stones like rubies and sapphires are also popular but won’t be a lot cheaper than a small diamond.
Image via KristinCoffin | fashiontrendcraze
On which hand does the engagement ring go?
In some traditions, the groom will remove the engagement ring, place it on her right hand and put the wedding band on her left hand’s ring finger. The bride would then move both rings to her left hand after the wedding.
The engagement ring is worn on the fourth finger because, before the concept of blood circulation, people believed that a vein runs directly from the fourth finger to the heart. That vein was called Vena Amoris or The Vein of Love.
Images via Pinterest
How much should you spend on an engagement ring?
Perfect Proposal Ideas
Now that you have the ring, you must create the perfect environment to pop the question! Here are some tips to pull off the perfect proposal. If you are not the creative type and you need some ideas on how to propose, don’t worry, we have you covered. Have a look at our blog for some Creative Proposal Ideas.
- Unless you know for sure that she is going to say yes, don’t ask her in front of a big group of people or in a restaurant full of strangers!
- You must always make sure that the setting is intimate and that your partner is comfortable and relaxed. Sometimes keeping it simple and sweet is the best!
- Tailor the moment around what she likes and enjoy! If she is scared of heights – better avoid mountains!
- You will know what your partner would like to remember about this evening! Make it memorable!
- Be careful of hiding the ring in food, proposing on sand or proposing on bridges over water – many rings have gone missing due to the newly engaged couple nervously fumbling!
Watch this video of a proposal gone horribly wrong!