Honeymoon Planning: The How-To after the ‘I Do’
What is a Wedding without a proper Honeymoon? The first few days where you introduce yourself as Mr. and Mrs. to any and everyone you meet, sounds very glamorous. But let’s admit, all you can imagine is endless days of sushi, sangrias and sunsets. Remember, your honeymoon sets the tone for your new life. A honeymoon provides your first memorable moments as a married couple. It sets the stage on how you should treat each other and prepare the path to marriage bliss. Great honeymoon memories will be made with your partner. In this blog we will give you the basics of planning and finding your perfect honeymoon destination.
How To Plan Your Honeymoon:
Choosing Your Honeymoon Destination
What do you imagine as your ideal honeymoon? While one might want to soak up some sun in the Bahamas, the other might enjoy a more localized experience. Even if your significant other wants to surprise you with a trip it would be wise to still discuss and throw ideas around to have a clear idea of what would excite both of you. As a couple, the process of planning a honeymoon will be the first step wherein you start making decisions and get to know each other’s likes and dislikes. Both of you must be happy with the idea of location and the type of accommodation. As a couple, decide and agree on a budget. Set it aside and don’t touch it.
If you haven’t explored your own country yet, this might be the ideal opportunity to dig into the cultural goodness that is available locally. South Africa has some of the best honeymoon destinations available! Plus, with Covid currently putting a big ban on international travel – you might have no choice.
Before the planning can continue, confirm the following first:
- Decide when to go and how long for.
- Check whether you are able to put in leave from work.
- Find out if you will need any documentation to be able to travel.
Booking Accommodation & Honeymoon Packages
After your wedding planning, you most probably want a stress free honeymoon. If that is the case, it would be a great idea to make use of a travel agency or travel professional to help plan your ideal getaway. Since this is their job, they will be able to think of every nitty-gritty detail and ensure that everything goes according to plan.
Another great reason to use a travel agent is that they can offer you great deals and all-inclusive honeymoon packages! Some of these packages are so cost-effective you will be surprised – you could really travel to any destination across the globe.
Booking a honeymoon package, as opposed to just a normal room, offers a host of benefits tailored to be ‘romantic’. You could then expect a private room with some extra amenities and a spectacular view.
Sometimes these packages include the meal and drink options, a minibar, room service, a fireplace, balcony or a romantic large bathtub. These are all things that could add that extra edge to your honeymoon celebrations.
10 Honeymoon Travelling Tips:
- Check for travel packages and special honeymoon offers. You could get a great deal for anywhere in the world.
- Make your bookings from the same number. To keep things stress-free make sure that the communication process is easy. The hotels and resorts should be able to contact you directly should there be any problems.
- If you are staying at a Hotel, let them know if you have any special requests.
- Use your maiden name. You might not have the time to change your name if you leave soon after the wedding. If you won’t be going away for too long, stick to what is still on your passport and personal documents.
- Do cross check the weather conditions of your honeymoon destination and pack your clothes accordingly.
- Label your luggage bags with custom tags or colourful strings.
- Make time for yourselves. Don’t commit to too many activities, you can always go exploring on another trip. During your honeymoon, your free time together is what it is all about.
- Even though you want to keep your schedule as flexible as possible, some things do need to be booked in advance.
- Your ring might be very precious to you, but rather take it off and place it somewhere safe when you are doing some adventurous activities. Losing your ring on your trip would be a disaster!
- Take more spending money than you think you might need. These will be some of your best memories and the last thing you would want is the awkward ‘Do we have enough money’ conversation.
This is the best part about planning a honeymoon. Couples usually seek the most romantic thing to do on honeymoon in order to make it special for him or her. Plan a surprise for your spouse that will help you in creating memories for a lifetime. You can always coordinate with the hotel officials or the travel agent to assist you in planning a surprise for your better half.
Don’t be afraid to tell the world about your newlywed status. Having those around you know about your honeymoon might even lead to more complimentary gifts and special treatment.