Every bride has dreamt of the perfect wedding dress! Short, ball gown or vintage, the world (and the internet) has thousands of options and ideas for amazing wedding dresses. Wedding dress hire has become very popular in recent years, so when it comes to buying vs renting a wedding dress, which is the better option for you?
Designing and buying a wedding dress
Give life to your unique dress ideas
Pro’s of buying a wedding dress:
- There are no limits! The designer will make the dress of your dreams.
- The fit will be perfect!
- You will receive your dress a long time in advance for fitting and matching accessories
- You will have access to a designer to create extra accessories like a veil and trimmings for your wedding shoes.
- You can keep it forever as a keepsake of your special day
Cons of buying a wedding dress:
- It can be very expensive! Wedding dress prices usually start at R15 000 …
- Having to go for fittings will take up a lot of your time.
- You will spend a lot of money on a dress you will only wear once.
- Storing and maintaining your wedding dress after the big day will take up a lot of space and time.
Hiring a wedding dress
If you have always dreamt of wearing a designer wedding dress, hiring might be the way to go! Those unobtainable designer wedding dresses that you have oogled on Pinterest can now become a reality for you! Wearing that designer dress always seemed impossible due to the high costs. Having your dress designed by your favourite designer can cost you thousands, while renting it will cost you much less.
Pros of wedding dress hire
- The price! This is probably the most important pro as this is a fantastic way to save money.
- Less fittings and less stress – you already know what the dress looks like and you already love it!
- You know the dress style early enough so you can get a head start shopping for wedding shoes and accessories.
- The dress will be returned straight after the wedding and you don’t need to maintain or store the dress.
Hiring is Ideal for a Budget Wedding
In the current economical climate, splurging on a wedding dress can be a financial stretch. Re-using and recycling are the buzz words in weddings at the moment. A cheap wedding dress doesn’t have to look cheap! Use the extra money you save for a special honeymoon outing or treat for you and your new hubby.
Cons of wedding dress hire
- You might not get what you want. There will be certain dream aspects of your dress that you might not be able to find in a hired dress.
- Sometimes it is hard to find a rental dress in plus size therefore finding the perfect fit can be a challenge!
- You may be allowed to alter the dress but you won’t be able to give it that personal touch.
- Liability costs can be a stress on your wedding day! You will have to pay for any damages to the dress and that as a result might make your over cautious and paranoid!